Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
Eating homemade waffles for breakfast or brunch always feels like a special treat, and they make a delightful midafternoon snack as well. Vegan waffles are surprisingly light and crisp. Adding cornmeal to the batter gives them extra crunch.
1. In a 2-cup liquid measure, combine the soymilk and lemon juice; set aside. (The mixture will curdle.)
2. Set a large strainer or sifter over a bowl. Measure in the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Stir or sift the dry ingredients into the bowl.
3. Stir the oil and maple syrup into the soymilk. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the liquid. Stir with a fork just until blended. The batter should be medium-thick but still pourable; if it’s too runny, stir in a tablespoon or two more flour. Alternatively, if the batter becomes very thick as it stands, stir in a tablespoon or two of soymilk.
4. When the waffle iron is ready, brush the top and bottom with oil or mist with pan spray. Pour a generous ½ cup of batter over the surface. Bake according to manufacturer’s directions until crisp, usually 5 to 6 minutes. Serve immediately or transfer to a cooling rack and keep warm in the oven while you are preparing the remaining waffles.
Add 2 tablespoons of shelled, unsalted sunflower seeds to the batter.
For carefree waffle making, use a nonstick waffle iron, and oil it lightly between batches. Waffles steam and gat soggy if stacked on a plate and kept waiting. If you’re not eating them right away, either keep them warm in a 200°F oven or cool them completely on a rack and refrigerate or freeze them until needed. (Waffles are good keepers.) Defrost and heat the waffles in a toaster or toaster oven.
Serve the waffles with maple syrup and your choice of fresh berries, sliced bananas, or Baked Peaches and Blueberries with Crisp Pecan Topping.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1 waffle.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today