Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Let’s face it: Blueberry pancakes are usually the result of a very poor blueberry-picking expedition. I would imagine that my mother was bored to tears every time I left the house with a bucket, promising enough berries for several pies and returning with what made a couple of skimpy pancakes. She often tried to pass the meager harvest off as a topping for cereal or ice cream, but I usually insisted on pancakes. These are exceptionally light, due to the beaten egg whites.
1. Separate the eggs, placing the yolks in one medium bowl and the whites in another bowl. Whisk the egg yolks with the milk and melted butter. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the egg/milk mixture. Whisk together gently just until blended. Don’t worry if a few lumps remain; they will work themselves out. Fold in the egg whites and gently stir in the blueberries.
3. Preheat a lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat. Ladle out the batter to form 3-inch pancakes. Cook until bubbles appear on the top, 1 to 2 minutes, then flip and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 1 minute.
4. Serve with butter and warm maple syrup.
The unbleached flour in this recipe adds a slightly toasty, rich flavor. Since unbleached flour usually absorbs more liquid, if you make these with bleached flour, add about a tablespoon more flour to the recipe.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 2 tablespoons of maple syrup per serving and does not include additional butter on top.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today