Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Refreshing and not too sweet, this is a delicious dessert after a rich main course, or a cooling treat on a hot day. Good with a small sweet cookie served alongside.
1. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from 4 of the lemons in strips. Scrape away any white pith.
2. Bring the sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to high and boil for 5 minutes.
3. Pour the syrup into a shallow, freezerproof nonreactive bowl. Stir in the lemon zest strips and let cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, grate the zest from the remaining 2 lemons. Squeeze the juice from all of the lemons and strain. You should have 1 cup of lemon juice. Remove and discard the lemon zest strips from the syrup. Stir in the lemon juice and grated lemon zest.
5. Transfer the dish to the freezer. Every 30 minutes or so, use a fork to stir and break up the frozen chunks. Continue to do this for about 4 hours or until the mixture has the texture of shaved ice. During the last 30 minutes or so, freeze serving dishes for the granita. Scoop the granita into the frozen dishes and serve immediately.
Prepare ahead: The granita, covered, can be frozen for up to 3 days. Crush in a food processor before serving.
Leftovers can be served in sugar cones or mixed with fresh fruit drinks.
Freezing Information: Ccan be frozen for up to 1 month.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today